Did you know?
- 33% percent of J'slm families live below the poverty line.
- 56% of J'slm children live below the poverty line.
- 23% of J'slm Jewish families are impoverished.
- 44% of J'slm children are impoverished.
- Average monthly income in J'slm is 11,419 Shekel compared to 14,419 Shekel nationwide.
- The average family size in J'slm is 4.2 compared to 3 in Haifa and 2.6 in Tel Aviv.
- One in three children in Israel go to sleep cold at night.
- Thousands of children get chronically ill in the winter due to lack of adequate heating.
- The cost of electricity in Israel is one of the highest in the world.
- 7,200 families alone had their electricity cut off in the winter of 2005 because they were simply unable to pay their electricity bills.
- To date "Warm the Needy" has warmed the hearts and homes of over 2,000 families in Israel, many of whom are orphans and widows.
- The expense per family is $50 for a heater and $200 towards assitance in paying their electric bills for the winter months.
- In absolute numbers, there were about 404,000 poor families in 2006, including some 1,650,000 individuals and 796,000 children. (NII)
- One in five Israeli families are defined as poor
One in four adults,one in three children. (NII)
- Israel's poverty rate among children is very high, placing it close to the top on the international scale.
- The poverty gap stands at 33.8%, meaning that on average, the income of the poor is about 34% below the poverty line.
- In 2006, Warm the Needy spent over $100,000 on direct electricity subsidies.
- In 2006, Warm the Needy distributed over 1,000 heaters to poor families.
- In 2006, Warm the Needy helped 1,469 families.
- Warm the Needy is of the belief that no child or family should shiver in the cold, regardless of their affiliation.
- Warm the Needy's network spans many cities all over Israel.
- Warm the Needy maintains strong relationships with many major relief organizations ensuring that every family has everything it so desperately needs to live.
- In 2004, 28,000 additional families dropped below the poverty line.
- Close to 100 of Warm the Needy's recipients are single parents.
- Many of Warm the Needy's recipients have large families as high as 14 children.
- Staffed by dedicated volunteers, 100% of your donation goes straight toward helping needy families.
- Warm the Needy operates, using a $15,000 software program which allows us to directly pay thousands of bills nationwide, every month.
- Impressed by our work, the Israel Electric Company has begun referring us cases of families falling behind in their payments.
- In July and August of 2007 alone, electricity rates rose 13%.
Quotes from the Chofetz Chaim's sefer Ahavas Chesed:
"...As winter approaches and it becomes terribly cold, it is a great mitzvah to concern oneself with those who cannot afford to buy wood to heat their homes..."
"...He who arranges funds for the needy to buy wood will be forgiven for all his sins and will be considered as having brought a korban eitzim to the holy temple..."
Back to top